You don’t need a lawyer for the Ninth Circuit Court of Appeals, but having one can make a huge difference in your case. In general, an immigration attorney can help you explore all your options for appealing a decision on your immigration case, including appealing with the Ninth Circuit. They can help you file paperwork, create a strong argument against the state’s decision, and even represent you in court.
While you can do all this on your own, it’s helpful to have someone on your side who knows immigration law and has been through this process with others.
What an Immigration Lawyer Does for Ninth Circuit Cases
The appeals process in the Ninth Circuit can take months or years, and that process can go on even longer if you’re doing it all on your own. You likely don’t have the legal knowledge, resources, or understanding of the system to handle your own Ninth Circuit appeal case. But a lawyer does.
Here’s what a lawyer can do for Ninth Circuit cases:
- Determine the strength of your case in the appeals circuit: Some immigration cases just won’t hold up in the Ninth Circuit, and an immigration lawyer can tell you whether this process is worth your time, money, and effort. On the other hand, they can also emphasize the strengths of your case to improve your appeal’s chances.
- File the appeal paperwork: You’ve got the Petition for Review, the Notice to Appeal, and many U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) forms to fill out throughout your entire case. But you can get help completing and filing all the forms for your appeal before the deadlines.
- Help you build an Appeal Brief: You have to argue why the immigration judge was wrong in ruling against you and prove that you deserve to be granted the immigration status you want. Writing an Appeal Brief for the Ninth Circuit can be challenging to do on your own, but a lawyer can help you include the strongest evidence to make your case.
- Follow up on the status of your case: A lawyer knows who to contact and when to check the status of your case, including whether your petition was received or reviewed and whether you’re getting a court date.
- Represent you in court hearings and mediation: If you’re given a court date, the lawyer can go with you to argue your case to the appellate judge. If you’ve chosen to mediate with the government instead of going to court, your lawyer can argue your case there, too.
- Explore other options for appealing or earning legal immigration status: As you wait for the Ninth Circuit to rule on your case, or if they rule against you, your immigration lawyer can help you find other ways to receive the immigration status you want.
For a free legal consultation, call (623) 742-5400
Benefits of Getting Help from an Immigration Lawyer for Your Ninth Circuit Appeal
Here are some key benefits of having an immigration attorney help you with your Ninth Circuit appeal:
- Added authority to your appeal, which makes the court take your case more seriously
- Improved accuracy in your paperwork, which can keep this long process on track
- Help navigating the complex and time-consuming appeals process, answering your questions and addressing your concerns at each stage
- Adherence to deadlines, so you don’t have late documents that could jeopardize your appeal
- Support and resources to help you stay in the country
Should I Get a Lawyer Myself or Let the Court Appoint a Lawyer for Me?
You can choose to have the court appoint a lawyer for you, but appointed attorneys may not be as equipped to handle your case. They tend to have large caseloads and offer less personalized attention. They may also have fewer resources and a staff of lawyers and legal assistants to help do research, prepare briefs, file documents, and manage other tasks.
What to Look for in a Lawyer for Your Ninth District Appeal
When you’re looking for a lawyer to take on your Ninth District appeal case, look for the following characteristics and qualities of a great lawyer:
- Knowledgeable of immigration issues and law
- Passion for helping people
- Realistic and honest about expectations and results
- Problem-solving skills
- Responsive to emails and calls
Your appeal can really benefit from getting a lawyer with the right experience, so look for a lawyer with:
- Experience in federal appellate courts
- Specialization in immigration law
- Successful results on cases like yours
- Memberships and affiliations with trusted organizations and institutions
Click to contact our immigration lawyers today
Choose New Frontier Immigration Law to Represent You in the Ninth Circuit
At New Frontier Immigration Law, our team has experience representing clients in the Ninth, Fifth, and Sixth Circuits. We also have experience taking appeals to state supreme courts and the U.S. Supreme Court. Our founding attorney, Hillary Walsh, has more than 10 years of experience in immigration law, a strong passion for helping people navigate the immigration system, and is an adjunct law professor.
Choose the team at New Frontier Immigration Law to take on your Ninth Circuit appeal. Call our office today to schedule your strategic session.
Call or text (623) 742-5400 or complete a Free Case Evaluation form