The information and paperwork for obtaining an immigrant visa are often complex and confusing. If you seek to get an immigration visa to live and work in the United States, one form you will need to fill out is the Form DS-261 Choice of Address and Agent form. This document provides information to the U.S. government about how to contact you for the processing of your immigration visa.
The form also allows you to appoint someone—an agent—to receive the correspondence related to your immigration visa application. If you need help with this form or are uncertain about the next steps you need to take, an immigration attorney from New Frontier immigration Law is ready to help you with your case.
What Is the DS-261 Form?
The DS-261 Choice of Address and Agent form is part of the paperwork you will need to fill out to get a visa to live in the United States. You will need to go through the U.S. Department of State (DOS) Bureau of Consular Affairs to submit this form.
The form designates how the DOS will contact you throughout your visa application process. It also allows you to specify an agent or the person who will receive the information regarding your application.
The agency recommends choosing an agent who has a U.S. address to identify on your form. There are several people you could appoint, including:
- A petitioner
- A relative
- A friend
- An attorney
- An immigration assistant organization
So, suppose you are interested in appointing an attorney to oversee your visa application. In that case, this is the form you would use.
What Information Will I Need to Provide on a DS-261 Form?
You should be as accurate as possible in the information you provide on the DS-261 form. Make sure to fill out all the information that applies to you. Some of the information you may need to provide includes:
- Your name and email
- Your beneficiary ID
Next, you answer the two following questions with either a yes or no:
- “Have you already legally immigrated to the U.S. and no longer need to apply for an immigrant visa?”
- “Do you wish to appoint an agent or attorney to receive mail about your visa application?”
Upon answering yes to the second question, you can input the information of the attorney or agent you would like to appoint. For example, you will need to provide your designated agent’s:
- Phone number and email
Providing this information allows for increased communication and helps to make the process of getting your immigrant visa go more smoothly.
Special Considerations of a Form DS-261
To fill out the DS-261 form, you will need to go through the Consular Electronic Application Center (CEAC). It is part of the paperwork you will need to fill out to apply for an immigrant visa. However, there is other paperwork you will need as well.
For example, you will also need to complete the Form DS-260 Application for Immigrant Visa and Alien Registration. You must complete this form in English.
On all portions of your visa process, be as thorough and honest as possible. Falsifying or omitting information can cause the U.S. government to reject your application.
Benefits of Getting Legal Help
You may be considering handling your immigration paperwork on your own, but hiring legal help can reduce the risk of errors and subsequent denial. If you need help with your DS-261 paperwork, our immigration attorneys can offer our guidance and support. Our legal team at New Frontier Immigration Law is familiar with this type of paperwork and helps with this and similar processes.
We will carefully review your information and help you with the forms so you don’t leave out any critical details. If there is a problem with your paperwork, we can go over the different legal options you can pursue. We can also help you with the appeals process if the U.S. government rejects your visa application.
Our attorneys are ready to help you with your Form DS-261 Choice of Address and Agent. This form is critical, particularly to provide the information of the attorney you are working with, such as one of our lawyers from New Frontier Immigration Law.
Reviews From Clients We’ve Served
We pride ourselves on fighting for clients who want to make the United States their new home. After working with us, here are what just a few of our clients have had to say:
- “I recently had a legal issue with my family and citizenship. New frontier law was fast to respond. Mrs Walsh was so easy to work with and honestly understood and gave my family and I more attention than I expected. If you ever have any issues with immigration or need assistance with becoming a citizen then this is the place you need to go.” — Seamus Oshaughnessy
- “Our first time using their team for our case. They have been responsive and very respectful. We look forward to working with them and we highly recommend them!” — Mariana Altamirano
- “New Frontier Immigration Law genuinely cares about their clients. Their knowledgeable lawyers and staff are attentive & professional. A very impressive firm.” — Jenifer Sullivan
- “Very helpful and went into detail both in English and Spanish for both of us to understand, we had a previous experience with another firm and where not helpful at all only made us feel helpless . So completely recommend!” — Maritza Barraza
Get a Strategic Session Today With New Frontier Immigration Law
We want you to go through the proper legal steps to follow the law, but we understand that the legal process gets confusing. New Frontier Immigration Law has a whole legal team ready to help you with your case.
We are ready to answer your questions and work with you in your case every step. You can get started by contacting us for an initial strategic session today.