To become a legal permanent resident of the United States, you’ll need to go through the often complex immigration process. If you have worked as an employee of the U.S. government abroad, you may have unique options available to you, including special immigrant status.
In this case, you can fill out a Form DS-1884 Petition to Classify Special Immigrant Under INA 203(b)(4) as an Employee or Former Employee of the U.S. Government Abroad. If you are uncertain about how to go about filling out this petition, it can help to hire an immigration attorney. Our lawyers at New Frontier Immigration Law are ready to guide you through the process.
What Is the DS-1884 Form?
There are various pathways for people to obtain U.S. immigrant status, but it can be confusing to determine the options available to you and what you must do to qualify.
The DS-1884 petition is one potential option available to those the U.S. government has employed in other countries. This form could grant you access to the United States to get a green card, and it may even lead to permanent citizenship.
When the U.S. government approves this petition, it is recognizing your hard work on its behalf. Your work indicates that if you were to come to the United States, your interests would likely align with the country’s interests. Our team would be honored to help you complete this document and other necessary paperwork so you can settle down and build a new life here.
Information You Will Need to Include on the DS-1884 Form
On this form, you will explain who you are and your employment history with the U.S. government. Some of the information you will need to provide includes:
- Your name
- Your date of birth
- Your place of birth
- The number of years the U.S. government employed you
- Where you were employed and what U.S. government agency employed you
- Whether or not the U.S. government currently employs you or if you are honorably retired
In addition, you can include information about your spouse and children on this form. You will need to sign the document and affirm that you will immediately apply for your immigrant visa if it is approved. You will also need to attest that you intend to leave your current employment in order to come to the United States.
Special Considerations When Filing a Form DS-1884
You must fill out the form as honestly and accurately as possible. Falsifying information or providing misleading information can cause the U.S. government to reject your petition for residency. If your petition is approved, you must immediately take steps to apply for an immigrant visa.
An immigrant visa is for those who want to permanently live and work in the United States. This process can also be complex and requires you to fill out additional detailed paperwork. As such, it can be beneficial to consult with an attorney. Our immigration lawyers can help you fill out and submit the appropriate paperwork.
How an Immigration Attorney Can Help
When you hire our team at New Frontier Immigration Law, our attorneys can help you collect the information you will need for your DS-1884 petition. We will also:
- Explain what to expect from the application process, including timelines
- Help you fill out the document accurately and completely
- Identify and prepare any additional documents you will need
- Represent you in any hearings and other communications
- Assist your family with their documents
- Advocate for you during this and other immigration processes
If the U.S. government denies your petition, we can also help you determine your next steps and legal options. In addition, we will clarify anything you don’t understand throughout the process and answer all your questions. We are here to make the immigration process go as smoothly as possible for you and your family.
How We Have Helped Our Other Clients
We have helped many clients on their path to making the U.S. their home. Here are what a few of them had to say. We hope that you will be just as satisfied after working with us:
- “Hillary was absolutely amazing today. She helped answer so many pressing questions I had. She was so professional and kind. You can tell that she is so passionate about what she does. I would recommend her over and over again.” — Samantha
- “I love these guys at new frontier immigration law they are knowledgeable helpful and kind. My family and I are grateful that they came into our lives we have prayed for someone to help us with our immigration needs and God sent them to us I highly recommend them to my friends and family and everyone that I meet that has immigration needs.” — Armando
- “It was difficult choosing a group of people to trust not only with my legal issues but my family. New Frontier Immigration Law made the decision very easy. From the start I was greeted with kindness and understanding. They listened, had great professionalism & the swift action of this group had made my decision to choose them an easy one.” — Hugo Salazar
Call to Begin Your Strategic Session With Our Firm
You have worked hard for the U.S. government, and now you’re prepared to take the next step to make the United States your home. If you are overwhelmed by the U.S. immigration process, know that you are not alone. You have a whole legal team that is ready to guide you as you take steps to establish your life in a new country.
At New Frontier Immigration Law, we understand that this paperwork gets confusing. We are ready to help you with your DS-1884 form and other documents from start to finish, answering the questions you have along the way. You can get started by contacting us today for a strategic session today.